How to Change Your Name Legally

How to Change Your Name Legally - Lawyers - Family

Your name is what defines you.  It gives you your identity.  People can have normal names, unique names, even strange names.  Whatever the name your parents gave you when you were born, you may at some point need to change it.  Whether you are getting married, you hate your name, or you just want to add something to it, you need to do so legally in order for the change to be recognized by your state. You can learn how to change your name legally below.

How to Change Your Name Legally

The first thing you need to do when changing your name is make sure you are 100% sure that you like what you are changing it to.  Practice signing it. Have people call you by it. Determine that you know for sure that this is what you want.  Furthermore you should make sure that you are not taking a name that is already taken by a trademark or someone else.

You should now call your local government office, and find out what documents you need in order to change your name officially.  Generally, they will include a petition, an order granting the change, a legal backer, a notice of the petition to the public, and an affidavit of consent. You may also need to submit an affidavit of service of notification to the authorities if you are an alien, ex-convict, or an attorney.

Once you fill out these forms you should get them notarized by an authorized notary, or signed by a court clerk.  Retain copies of every form you want to submit just to make sure you can refer back to them.  Turn the forms in to the appropriate place.  Now all you have to do is wait for approval.

Once you receive approval you will need to address the public.  Put the name change in the newspaper or in a public place like a bulletin at the courthouse according to the requirements of your local govt.  Return the filled out affidavit to the court clerk and wait for the order granting the name change that should also have your new ID.  You will need to go to the DMV, social security administration, and bureau of records in the state you where born to get a new license, social security card, and birth certificate.

Additional Help

If you have more questions about changing your name legally, you should try to talk to an attorney.  The easiest fastest way to get in contact with reliable local law businesses is to use TalkLocal. Just put in your problem and availability and let us do all the work.  Within minutes you will be connected with up to three legal professionals who will be able to help you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *